Ah, Words With Friends. With its combination of wordplay, friendly competition and time-killing fun, it’s easy to see why it’s one of the most popular apps for the iPhone and iPad. We asked our copywriter Ross to share his five favorite Words With Friends moments. Here they are.
- My wife is Portuguese and, as such, is a big fan of Fado music. It translates as “fate” and is sad, haunting and beautiful at the same time. As is often the case in WWF, I click “Submit” suspecting that a word is not really a word. But this time, I was rewarded with a spinning wheel and 40 points.
- One of my biggest scores ever happened to coincide with a word I really like (DERIDES). It means “to ridicule,” which is exactly what my 93-point play did to my opponent. Oops—I mean “to my friend.”
- I was playing my good friend Kenny (who usually kills me) and, just as I thought all hope was lost, I played all my letters on TWISTIER for 95 points. (He still beat me.)
- The month was April; the year was 2010. The world was transfixed on one thing and one thing only: KFC’s new Double Down Sandwich. Fitting, then, that my friend and I kicked off our game with a perfect representation of this culinary masterpiece. (See the above photo.)
- Sometimes, it’s not the word you play that matters, but the message hidden in the tiles you’re given. And yes, “SEEEEXA” is an acceptable variant of “sexy.”
What are some of your favorite WWF moments?